Sugar Shack for Schools – French Canadian Sugar Shack – Cabane à Sucre at The Wild Wild West
We can now take bookings for Sugar Shack 2022!
*During Covid-19 we will be following all of the protocols laid out by the Alberta Government and AHS for your safety, our safety, and to ensure that our business stays alive.
We are able to provide a Covid Safe experience in-house for all involved at the Wild Wild West Event Centre, at your schools or venue.
We also have a new Mobile Maple Sugar Shack that we can bring to your venue and serve your guests outside, by following all Covid Protocols.
To raise the level of awareness and appreciation of Eastern Canadian history and culture in Western Canada, the Wild Wild West Event Centre has organized a Maple Sugar Program for the benefit of Calgary and area students.
Over the past 15 years, we have produced a very popular Sugar Shack / Maple Sugar Program, or Cabane à Sucre.
The Program comes complete with:
- Short bilingual educational video of the history and manufacturing process of maple syrup.
- A traditional meal of sausages, pancakes, beans, scrambled eggs, hash browns, with maple syrup.
(Note: If anyone has particular allergies or dietary concerns, please let us know ahead of your booked date.)
- After the meal, the children are treated to the talents of the world renowned duo, Folklofolie, André Varin and Marie-Claude Gagnon, from Gatineau, Québec, who regale them with French Canadian folklore music in both French and English. Students are invited on stage to sample traditional music, dances, and of course, the spoons!
- Following the music, we have fun outdoor activities available for the children to do at their own pace.
- These activities, run by the parent volunteers and teachers,* include horse – drawn wagon rides (parent or teacher to be on each tour), three person team plank races (someone will be available to show the volunteers how to organize), Tug of War, Dog Sled Challenge (no dogs involved), Three Legged Race, and of course, the Maple Taffy on Snow!
- 2020 was the 14th year for our Sugar Shack and we have had upwards of 2000 students each year over a two week period. We can accommodate up to 200 students per day at a time.
- The hours are from 11:15am to 2pm. The cost is $20.00 (includes GST) per person for groups.PLEASE NOTE:
*In the following cases and circumstances, a predetermined number of teachers and volunteers will not be required to pay, if they will be manning the activities.
- A one teacher or volunteer to twenty children ratio is in effect. To keep our costs in line and to not have to increase our prices to a large degree, we do ask that you limit your teacher or volunteer total to one teacher or volunteer per 20 students.
- More are welcome on a reduced pay per meal price, if they intend to help out, if not, the full meal cost is in effect.
- We hope that this is appreciated in lieu of the costs of having the very popular Folklofolie Duo come from Quebec to entertain the students and the costs of staff, food, as well as all the other incremental costs related to all of the above.
TREATS AVAILABLE for Sale: Depending on Supplier Availability
- First Maple Taffy on Snow – free
- Extra Maple Taffy on Snow – $2.50 each.
- Maple Lollipops – $4.00 for a pack of two.
- 2 Cookies – $1.00 (Chocolate Maple or Cream Maple) Box for $5.00
- Maple Fudge – $1.00 each or Box for $10.00
- Snow Cones – $2.00 each
- There will be other Maple Sugar Products on sale, as well, prices starting at $1.00 each.
Please give us a call to book or for more info: (403) 312-6462
or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here to read a much appreciated review from the Bow Valley Students